The face of Aigle Castle has witnessed several makeovers down the centuries. Partially destroyed and rebuilt more than once, it is renovated in the 1970s to house the Vine and Wine Museum as well as four reception halls for banquets and seminars.
The history of Aigle Castle is still patchy in parts. We do know however that it has its origins in a fortified tower and was built at the end of the 12th Century by the Knights of Aigle. From the 13th century, and into the 14th century, it comprises various buildings and a wall encloses the ancient version of Aigle Castle.
It would be the Bernese, whose coats of arms still adorn the entrance way, that would give Castle Aigle its defining character. They enlarged the surrounding walls, constructed new integral parts of the building, created apartments and administration offices. It thus became not only a fortress but a prestigious residence of the local rulers, the Governors of Aigle. A great number of original decors painted in the 16th and 17th centuries can still be admired today by visitors to the Castle.
Owned by the district of Aigle since 1804, Aigle Castle was restored with the help of the county of Vaud, the Swiss Confederation and numerous private benefactors in the years 1970-1980 and then again between 2001-2009.
From 1975 onwards it has become a cultural site which houses reception halls for banquets, weddings, seminars as well as the Vine and Wine Museum.